February 7, 2010

Worn & Tested: Nike Zoom Force 1

Earlier on this season I decided to sell my old snowboard boots at a swap as they were too small and just too uncomfortable to ride through. My last 2 pairs of boots were Burton so I decided to mix it up and try a pair of Nike boots who are on their 2nd year of putting out snowboard boots. Nike put out 2 models of men's boots this year: The Zoom Force 1 and the Zoom Kaiju. I opted for the Zoom Force 1s because that's all I had the budget for. After a few months of riding at the local hill and a trip to Fernie in December I thought it was time to write a review. The first difference I noticed was that they were actually the right size and hence much nicer to ride in. The toe box seems a little bigger than they did in the Burton Ions. They've comfy and don't loosen up by the end of the day. My last pair of boots had Burton's speedzone lacing so these don't lace up as quickly but I do have more control over which areas have the right tension. In terms of flex these boots are great. Not too stiff for park and not too loose for the rest of the mountain. Although I am happy with these boots and will be riding them for another season after this for sure I would expect Nike's boots to improve substantially over the next couple of years as they are new entrants into the snowboard market and their massive budget doesn't hurt either.
The inner lacing system. Easier to get tight than Burton's version but it takes longer to do.
The tread pattern on the boots is grippy but almost too sharp as I often scratch my hands on them. 
The locking lace loop. This broke on one of my boots after 4 months of riding and although it's been slightly fixed it's still not perfect. 

1 comment:

  1. yeah man, these boots are SICK. Im loving mine.

    ReplyDelete